Important COVID-19 Information
Independence Center St. Louis is closely monitoring the status of the COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak so we can share vital information with our community and will continue to do so over the coming weeks and months.
In order to keep our population healthy, we are requesting that members, staff, and all visitors take the necessary precautions to decrease potential exposure. We are doing the same in all our facilities.
We understand that this pandemic strikes directly at the heart of our model that is built on social connection, but we must make difficult decisions quickly, as the choices we make in the next week will have a significant impact on the speed and scale of spread of this virus, especially within our tightly knit and more vulnerable Clubhouse communities.
SOCIAL DISTANCING IS CRITICAL for curbing the pandemic. Most importantly, that means Clubhouses around the world must prepare action plans for decreasing on-site programming, and possibly closing their physical locations to reduce the risk of transmission for members and the broader community.
Please know we are doing everything we can to enable all Independence Center programs to continue but will be TRANSITIONING TO PHONE, MOBILE, AND CREATIVE PROGRAMMING while ensuring out members and staff are supported as much as possible during this difficult time.
Starting Tuesday, March 17th:
- Independence Center will reduce Clubhouse hours. We will only be open from 8am-12pm.
- All staff and members entering the Clubhouse will be asked about possible symptoms and possible exposure related to the COVID-19 virus. Members and staff deemed at risk will be asked to go home temporarily, and practice social distancing, while being supported by our staff, as much as possible.
Starting Wednesday, March 18th:
- The Clubhouse will close temporarily and will switch to full time phone or mobile support.
- All IC staff will continue to work with members and will be accessible via phone.
- Members needing assistance with food, hygiene items, or basic needs will be served as best as possible
- Meals will continue to be made at the Clubhouse and delivered to members needing immediate support
- IC Health Group will remain open for all scheduled appointments and injections, with adjusted practices
- Our Residential Care Facilities are on lock down and are practicing social distancing
- All visitors, guests, tours and other programming will be halted and rescheduled later
We hope to reassess on April 3rd and will continue to update you daily via our website and social media. If you do not already follow, please do so.
How you can support:
The state of Missouri has released funds to support with this pandemic, but we know the financial impact will affect us greatly and that funds from the state will likely take time to get to us. From both the medical and public health standpoint, COVID-19 is creating unmet needs above and beyond the usual. We will require more resources to meet these needs. In order to keep our members and staff safe, we will be purchasing more cleaning supplies, personal protective equipment, and items to better serve members remotely. The best way for you to help at this time is to donate money to Independence Center so that we can continue to serve our members, most of whom are marginalized and disproportionately affected by this crisis.
We understand that the COVID-19 can create unexpected financial and physical concerns for all. As you take care of yourself and your loved ones, we appreciate the consideration to donate to Independence Center. Your donations will continue to support our members during this difficult time and help to continue programming and support to the vulnerable populations we work with.